Some cats are very fussy eaters, whereas others will be only too happy to dine on something they probably shouldn’t. There are many food products that experts agree cats should generally avoid, and many will surprise you. Living years has compiled a list of five foods to keep from your kitty; (for a specific list for your cat, please see your vet).
Tuna meant for human consumption can lack the proper nutrients your cat needs leading to malnutrition. It can also cause mercury poisoning. Some tuna now and then, probably wouldn’t hurt your cat, but it should be avoided on a regular basis.
Onions, Garlic, Chives
Onion in all forms – powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated – can break down a cat’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. Whilst a small amount should be okay, eating a large quantity once or eating smaller amounts regularly can cause onion poisoning. Along with onions, garlic and chives can cause gastrointestinal upset.
Milk and Other Dairy Products
This one will cause some surprise; how could a saucer of milk harm your cat? The answer is that whilst a kitten’s undeveloped digestive system is able to tolerate milk, most adult cats cannot. Their digestive system is simply not designed to process rich dairy foods, and the result can be digestive upset, and can lead to food allergies (which often manifest as itchiness).
Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins have often been used as treats for pets. But it’s not a good idea. Although it isn’t clear why, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in cats. And, a small amount can make a cat ill. Repeated vomiting and hyperactivity are early signs. Although some cats show no ill effects, it’s best not to give your cat any grapes and to keep grapes and raisins off countertops and other places accessible to your cat.
Chocolate can be lethal for cats. Although most cats won’t eat it on their own, they can be coaxed to eat it by owners and others who think they are giving the cat a treat. The toxic agent in chocolate is theobromine. It’s in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous kinds, though, are dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Eating chocolate can cause abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and death.
Story and photo courtesy of http://pets.webmd.com